Sunday, April 14, 2013

God's Way to Educate vs World's Way (plus some family adventures)

I could write a book about this so this post is not meant to be comprehensive, but I recently read a speech that made me think about two very important differences in the way the world educates and the way God would have us learn.

He shared many important principles, but he mentioned two main ways that the 2 types of education differ.  The first is that the Lord is interested in educating the whole soul while the world is simply interested in the mind.  Elder Bednar's Increase in Learning is a great guide on how to do this.  Put simply - it comes down to acting on the principles that we learn so they become part of our character,and we become better because of what we learn.  Principles are everywhere and in everything that we learn if we know how to find them.  They don't teach you that in school, though.  At school we get taught stuff we need to know (to pass a test and get to college).  God would have us learn how to better live because of the principles we discover in the world around us.

The second way worldly education differs from God's is that the world is competitive as we try to get ahead.  Instead, a crucial way of educating our whole being is by lifting others to where we are.  We have all experience learning a new truth and wanting to share it with everyone because of how great it makes us feel.  As we do this we grow in truth, our knowledge expands, our character develops and we become truly educated.
"If we are living as the gospel requires, when we ourselves are learning, we are unwilling to leave others behind. An essential part of our growth comes in helping others grow. And then those we help in turn help others—among them, in many instances, our own posterity. This draws us close to one another, even across generations, and we become united, a Zion people. Fundamentally, education in the kingdom of God is different because it operates on the Zion principle of love."
The youth group that I have the opportunity to mentor is built on these principles.  It is amazing to see them repeated over and over as I read words of the prophets, Christian books on education, and as I receive inspiration on teaching my family and those around me.  Recently I have noticed them in the new youth programs of my church.  A book I am reading right now mentions that the home, school and church are what build the character of our youth and our nation. Unfortunately, the modern schools are secular and are failing and the homes are often places of distraction and entertainment instead of houses of learning.

I guess that is why I think it is important to invest my time on our homeschool youth group.  I want this education to be available to all, and I am sad when I see so much potential going to waste because we are neglecting the education of our youth. I am amazed at the insights and spiritual power of the youth I mentor as they are learning with the spirit of God present in their studies and discussions.  I am encouraged by their power and as I learn about similar schools and homes that are dedicated to this education of the soul.

And now to some fun family memories this last month:

Cuteness:
 Dissecting Owl Pellets:



 Medieval Feast with Vanguard families:














Ray got volunteered to do challenge some knights in order to win the princess' hand in marriage.  One of the contests was a jousting contest.  This is how it was supposed to be done:



This is Ray trying it:



He had a blast being the center of attention.  I need to remember to put my video quality from "normal" to "high".  Everything is so blurry.

Doodles during conference.  I have to admit it made my heart so happy to see my older children taking notes the ENTIRE four 2 hour sessions!  I didn't even ask them to, they got out their journals and paid attention.  I was so proud of them.  The little ones had a harder time, but doodling and naps kept them happy a lot of the time.

 Park day:


Doing a "flash mob" at Arctic Circle after a choir performance (they are quite giggly at first, but they get into it after a bit):





A couple of performance songs (they will be performing for friends and family on April 26th at 6:30 if anyone wants to come watch! Email me for the address).

(I asked a friend to hurry and film Little Miss for me since Gem was on my lap so the first part is of her rushing. I really need to adjust the video quality when I film! Good thing they have one more performance)





These video do not do credit to how awesome these guys sound:





And the last thing, we went to an ultrasound on Saturday and we learned that we are expecting a GIRL!  I hadn't let myself think about what I wanted the baby to be, but I was really excited to find it was a girl.  I haven't had a baby girl in nine years.  It will be so fun!

3 comments:

  1. Karen,

    Wow! What you're doing is amazing!
    I love reading your blog and learning from you. I would love to have a group like Vanguard around here, what a blessing and service you are doing for these youth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs, Karen! Thanks for posting and congratulations on the girl news :). I felt the same when I saw Xai was a boy...woohoo! Knights of Freedom for at least 12 more years :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on having a girl!! That is so exciting!!

    ReplyDelete